Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sail Tale

We traveled by boat and train to London yesterday. It turned out to be an arduous 13 hour journey, so I composed this on the way --


The Sea and Me


I got upon the ferry with my books and all my mags,
I swear I didn't notice those ubiquitous barf bags.
Into my mouth I popped a sweet and salty snack,
Got out my book and pillow and leaned my body back.

I thought it would be fun to cross the Irish Sea;
How was I to know what the sea had planned for me?
The captain told us plainly, "This will be a choppy trip"
I didn't realize he meant the sea would let her rip!

At first I thought a cannon had exploded up on deck.
What else could cause that shaking and sensation of a wreck?
We surfed the waves with a zig and a zag,
I would've surrendered if I'd had a white flag.

We cruised along for three long hours
My innards liked it not.
They thought they were in _Poseidon Adventure_,
And they didn't like the plot.

One daughter watched the waves;
While one slept the whole way through.
My husband?
He deemed it all an adventurous thing to do.


But me? I grabbed a barf bag
And held on for dear life.
The rocking and the rolling added to my strife.

At last, the journey ended,
Thanks be to the Lord.
You'll never hear my say again,
"I wish I weren't so bored."

5 comments:

  1. By "barf bag" do you mean "convenience bag" ? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my favorite new euphemism: the convenience bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sympathize with your need for the "convenience bag." Years ago in Florida, I put to good use a plastic bag that my mom put in a windbreaker that I borrowed. This was to be used to collect shells. Instead I conveniently used it during a sightseeing trip that involved 5-7 foot waves on the Atlantic. I also was responsible for the Captain's closing the "head." Not fit for humans after I was an occupant. Your empathetic, land lubber friend, Jan

    PS Just caught up on a month’s blog reading one day before going back to the dreaded WORK! And this is my second attempt to post this comment, so if you get this twice, blame
    the computer not my ineptness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that Molly posted the link to your blog on Facebook, and I enjoy not doing work at work, so I checked it out--- Love it! Please post more pics, preferably embarrassing ones of Molly! :)

    Love,
    Molly's pledge mom,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy,

    My only problem is that I need Molly to show me how to post pictures..maybe I can get Nancy to do it. Welcome to the Blog from the Bog! I'm happy to keep people from working. In fact, that's my goal.

    PiPhi love,
    Tizzie

    ReplyDelete