Monday, March 22, 2010

Kerrying On & Un-CORKing a few

FMM: 5 mi (Forced March Miles)

Hi, Blogaholics,

I am making progress in my quest to visit every last inch of the motherland. Bob, my cousin Mike, and I used trains, buses, taxis, and FMMs to traipse around Cork City and Youghal in County Cork and Kenmare in County Kerry. We searched for Mansfield and McCarthy relatives. Our search was not exactly scientific; it would never pass Rosemary's genealogy guidelines. However, we found a Mansfield working in a hardware store who offered to be Mike's relative if Mike had any money. We also located a McCarthy gravedigger who volunteered to impersonate a blood connection and took a picture with all of us. We were well-pleased with our efforts and retired to the local pub. I FMM'd Bob and Mike up a steep hill in Cork to tour the Butter Museum. Both of them slept through a fascinating video on the history of exporting butter from Cork. If only my old roommate, food scientist Jan Harte, had been there; she would've been intrigued by the butter churns and would've yearned for her old days of making yogurt in the Pi Phi ice machine...You'll be happy to know that I did NOT make it back to Blarney Castle. Therefore, I won't be doing any unnecessary gabbing - only necessary gabbing - from now on. You're saved...I did allow Mike to view the NCAA 16 teams this morning online and copy them down. Now it's back to business! Bob called on his way to work and insists Mike needs to walk through St. Stephen's Green one more time. The sun appears to actually be out, and we don't want to miss that. So we are off to follow orders. Wouldn't want Mike to miss any FMMs. Bob wouldn't like it.

Giving and following orders,
I remain

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have been so busy that I got backed up on blogs. Much to my surprise you talked about food science and butter!
    We did go to a museum when we were in Cork but missed that one. I hope that they didn’t charge much. Did you get to the site where they buried the visit the burial site of the Lusitania victims?

    ReplyDelete