Friday, April 23, 2010

A Real Page Turner

FMM: 3 mi (that's Forced March Miles, for any newbies)

Good morning, Saturday Slackers,

Have you reset the mousetraps? You did remember to put one in your car, right? Fine, then you can read on. Otherwise, I'll wait for you...I gloated too soon yesterday. My idyllic trip to St. Stephen's Green to read until the sun went down didn't exactly go as planned. I did find a perfect sunny spot on a bench. I opened my book and began to read _Let the Great World Spin_. Within minutes, two foreigners sat down and began an animated conversation in Spanish. I decided I would just people watch until they finished. Well, I began to doze off. I don't think I snored, but one never knows. They showed no signs of quieting down, so I took myself to another bench. When I arrived, the lady sitting on it promptly got up and left. I opened my book and another set of foreigners speaking Polish (I think) sat down. Now I shouldn't complain about foreigners since I'm one myself, but if they spoke English at least I could eavesdrop on their conversations! It was also a bit chillier than I had thought, and I found that turning pages with my woolly gloves on was not so easy. I could've joined a homeless man with his backpack, but I decided to do what I do best: go on a forced march around Grafton Street... This morning I plan to sit on the couch under a blanket and read my book. I should remember my old boss Frank Ferguson's adage about newsletters, "Don't write what you're going to do. Write what you've already done." You'd think I would learn my lesson..

Seeking study hall,

I remain

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your relaxing afternoon/evening didn't go as planned. I can just picture you falling asleep on the bench...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a mouse happening myself. Last week while on the phone to my daughter Marnie while at work, a grey mouse scampered into my office and hid behind the bookcase. I threw the phone down, grabbed my purse (remembering your lost purse stories), and ran out. One of my students trapped him in a box, taped it up and took him to the University Farms. I would have preferred an execution, but at least he is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Surely you didn't do a Bach honk, did you?? Just wondering. Now you'll heed my warning: set your mousetraps!

    ReplyDelete