Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Great x 5

FMM: 1 mi

Hi, Friends, Fans, and Foes,

I am doing what I should have done when I arrived here 7 months ago: researching my Irish roots. And I don't mean my hair. When your mother stays in the same house for 100 years, she uncovers such things as a letter written by my great-grandfather in 1882. I have been poring over such a letter. It traces the Coady family tree back to my great-great-great-great-great-grandparents. It lists names, maiden names, and the towns where my ancestors lived. I've been figuring out the correct spelling of the towns and locating them on a map of County Kilkenny. If you have these names in your background, you might be my relative: Singleton, Kelly, Walsh,or Barry. I'm not sure what I will do with this information, but the search kept me occupied and intrigued all day. Yes, this is what you do when you have no live people with whom to interact: you look up your dead relatives. Trust me. I know these things. Megan, if you hadn't talked me into getting this laptop, who knows what kind of trouble I would be getting myself into?...Off to meet a friend for lunch and a dramatic reading of an Oscar Wilde story at Bewley's on Grafton Street.

ROOTing and computing,

I remain
Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment