Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spiders and Snakes

FMM: 6 mi

Hi, Rodent Lovers,

I mentioned animals that don't live in Ireland to exactly the wrong person: Dawn Peters, my outdoor & animal-loving next-door neighbor in Columbia. She has peppered me with questions such as "Are there frogs in Ireland? Opossums? Ants? Waterbugs? Etc, Etc.??" I was only trying to be cute and clever, how the heck do I know whether there are frogs here? According to Google, there are. There are also vicious grey squirrels which have killed off the nice, tame brown ones. Are you wondering how all this animal talk got started? Bob and I got a ride home with two young Irish brothers ages 19 and 25. One of them asked if I had ever seen a snake and wondered if there really were poisonous spiders in U.S. By the time, Bob got finished telling him an elaborate flesh-eating tale about what would happen if a brown recluse bit you, the poor kid was mortified. I think he expects to step off a plane in the U.S. and be immediately assaulted by snakes and spiders and sprayed by a skunk. I guess it could happen...So far, the only person I could impress with Bob's JEDWARD sighting was a young foreign-speaking girl who cut my hair yesterday...I bought a new deluxe wheeling shopping cart yesterday; my choices were purple or pink patent leather. Nancy was duly appalled when I showed it to her on Skype, she insists SHE won't be pushing it around. We'll see about that; it depends on how hungry she gets when she's here for a month...My creative writing class had a substitute last night and he gave us HOMEWORK! He must not know that we are all taking the class for fun. I will have to get off this blog and do some real writing...maybe a tale about a skunk that accidentally arrives in Ireland? A tale of two identical twins with vertical hair who win a big singing contest? A horror story about two innocent Irish lads who are greeted at the U.S. airport by spiders, snakes, and skunks?


Snaking my way through the Dublin streets with my purple wheelie cart,

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment