Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Book Reviews

FMM: 4.5 mi

Mom's 99th birthday is Monday, Nov. 16 if you want to send her a card...Kind of a slow day, so I'll rate a few books. If you want corroborating evidence for my ratings or if you just want to talk, give me a call. Remember, no international rates apply. E-mail me for the number. So far, no one has taken me up on my "Menopausal Night Sweats Hotline". If you find yourself wide awake - for whatever reason - in the middle of the night, call me. It is 6 hours later here. I promise to talk to you and put you right back to sleep. You all know I can do it!!! I will even listen if you ask me to...Okay, so here are my long-awaited book reviews. Pretend that my asterisks are shamrocks as "Notepad", the word processing program I must use to write this, doesn't allow boldface, let alone smiley faces or shamrocks! I'm thankful for an exclamation point! Sorry, I know it's bad writing to overuse exclamation points. And I do agree with the person who said each individual should be alotted 3 lifetime exclamation points. Okay, here goes:

* = lowest
***** = hightest

****_Story of Lucy Gault_ by William Trevor - gives a human perspective to the Irish "troubles"; takes place 1920s Ireland

***_On Love_ by Sue Miller - a quick read; annoying characters

*****_Memoir_ by John McGahern - I'm a sucker for dreadful Irish childhood tales; very well-written

**_Whitethorn Woods_ by Maeve Binchy - the usual Maeve stuff, an easy read; not Maeve at her best

****_Dublin 4_ by Maeve Binchy -- enjoyed it since I now live in Dublin 4

***_Dracula_ by Bram Stoker - loved the first half; last half was too long; fun to read the original descriptions of Dracula

*****_Noah's Compass_ by Ann Tyler - 60 + year old male protagonist that you don't know whether to love or hate; quite funny

****_Brooklyn_ by Colm Toibin - bestseller here and in the U.S. - quick, easy, fun to read; Irish girl goes to the US in the 1950s

**_Away_ by Amy Bloom - quick read; predictable, far-fetched plot of an immigrant woman's experiences in US in early 20th century


I'm off to meet Bob for lunch. It is cold, dreary, and dark here.

Yours eternal,

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment