Monday, January 18, 2010

Travels & Travails

FMM: 5 mi

Good morning, Lucky People,

I assume all of you reading this have running water. Not us. We haven't had a drop in our tap since Thursday. I am writing this in a laundromat which I hope doesn't run out of water. Evidently, last week's cold weather has caused massive water problems nationwide. There are pipes burst and leaks all over the country. Water service keeps getting temporarily "restored", but it never reaches us as we are on the 4th floor. I have made several surreptitious trips to the Burlington Hotel next door to fill water bottles, etc. (smiley face if I could make one). So far, they haven't called security on me. Last night I boiled a kettle of water and poured it on my head to wash my hair. If you want more hair-raising "water interruption" tales, contact me. After 36 hours w/o water, Molly and Nancy were thrilled to head back to civilization. However, their fortunes did not improve. The last leg of their journey (Memphis to Columbia) was a most harrowing flight (Jody & Teresa - remember our New Orleans return??). Ultimately, the pilot turned around due to fog, and they got to spend the night in Memphis. Last I heard, they had made it home but their luggage had not. They are swearing off further transatlantic flights...So, my days are spent filling up water bottles wherever I can and trying not to use them. Beware if you see me enter your business or home with a big black tote bag; I'm there to steal water or do something worse....However, all is not bleak. Ken Heischmidt, a childhood friend from Paris, was in town and we all went out for dinner. I got the lowdown on the class reunion and we swapped a lot of stories. If I smelled, he didn't mention it.

Waterless on an island,
I remain

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tizzie, your water tales are just too much! I do miss the US of A after about 3 weeks abroad. You are a trooper to stay there for almost a year. Are any of the papers questioning the lack of "global warming?" Or is all weather blamed on this ruse? I bet the water pipe damage is due to George Bush! Obama would say is is so. Seriously I do wish they fix this all for you soon. Jan

    ReplyDelete