Monday, October 12, 2009

Irish Potpourri

FMM: 5 mi

Happy Monday! Sat. we toured Kilmainham Gaol (Jail), a prison famous for being the site where the 1916 Easter Uprising rebels were killed by firing squad. We also had a short visit with Monsignor Flanagan and his niece. Msgr was in Ireland for a funeral...Bob now watches Irish sports including soccer, rugby, and even camogie (the female version of hurling). He doesn't know a thing about the NFL except what one of his officemates, who is a big fan of the NFL, has shared from watching games on the internet. We did watch Ireland tie Italy in a World Cup qualifier on Saturday. The World Cup stuff seems like the NBA in that the playoffs go on forever..We toured the James Joyce Centre yesterday. That visit inspired Bob to get back to _Uylsses_. He is now on page lxiii of the introduction which goes up to page Lxxxxxii. After that, he can begin the book which only has 933 pages. I was going to include the last line of the book for you just in case you ever get on "Jeopardy", but when I looked, it appears to be over 30 pages long. Seriously, there's not a punctuation mark or even a paragraph indentation for 33 pages. Therefore, you can check it out yourself if you're interested..Bob and I went to Bewley's Oriental Cafe, a well-known landmark, for their "world famous sticky bun". I had read about it in a travel book and had my hopes up that finally something truly sweet and tasty would cross my lips after a 6 week dry spell... Alas, they don't make the sticky buns on Sundays! I had my pick of an almond croissant, a currant (you kids know THAT is my favorite fruit!) scone, or a kind of danish. I chose the danish but it did not satisfy my craving. In my opinion, they need to add at least another cup of sugar to every pastry..no wonder the Europeans are so thin!..Anyway, my search continues..As I've reported before, they do speak English here, but it has its own distinct pronunciations. Here are a few I've encountered: Ireland = R Land; funding = foonding; numbers = noombers; film = fil um; Van Gogh - Van goff (really!);he - your man; predecessor = preedecessor; and finally, Barack Obama = Barack (as in "attack") Obama (as in "Alabama")...All my observations for today. Happy Monday!

Searching for sugar,

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. hahahah currants!!
    sounds like you're having a good time!
    i can't wait to see you!! please order me a ticket soon1

    ReplyDelete