Monday, September 21, 2009

Irish Food & Newspapers

Monday morning

Hi, everybody,

It's come to my attention that some of you prospective visitors are now worried about having clean dishes, clean linens, hot water, heat, and cable TV when you come to visit. Well, all I can say, is that you can't beat my price and that you are welcome to try your hand at any and all appliances once you arrive.
Bob and I went to dinner with an Irish couple Sat. night. Bob had sea bass. I had shredded duck and salad, but only after I verified what a "salad" entailed. Those of you who have been to Ireland before know what I mean. A salad can mean a boiled egg and a blob of mayonnaise. We recently ordered salmon, potatoes, and a side salad, only to discover that our "side salad" was potato salad. So, diners, beware... It was interesting to talk with local people, or with any people in my case, as I have spent more days NOT talking in the past two weeks than possibly since my babyhood! The noise pollution level has surely gone down in the past two weeks... We learned that there are a few interesting First Communion rituals that priests have had to thwart lately. They include the eight-year-old girls having spray-on tans, pedicures, manicures, and even -- are you ready for this? -- headdresses that light up and say "Jesus" when first communion is received! Even we ugly Americans haven't thought of these things. We also learned that Ireland has the highest per capita rate for newspaper reading. I am not surprised as there are a huge number of newspapers available from both here and the UK and people are reading everywhere. Also, there are lots of bookstores and lots of people in them. I asked about getting the paper delivered to my door (something I dearly miss as many of you know) and I was told to go ask the people at the convenience store (my "newsagent" -- I didn't know I had one) and that he/she might be willing to bring one to my door every morning. They don't have official paper routes...Bob and I have continued our forced marches around the city, probably logging about 5 miles yesterday. WE came home, collapsed, and watched Ireland's version of the Super Bowl -- the national final for Irish football (I think this is right as futball I think is soccer?) between Kerry and Cork. Cousins and relatives, you'll be happy to know that our ancestral home team - Team Kerry - prevailed.

I love hearing from all of you, so keep those e-mails coming.

Tizzie/Tizmom/Liz/Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. So I think you should have a daily forced march meter that outlines how far you walk each day. Kind of like how Bridget Jones wrote how much she weighed and how many cigarettes she had smoked everyday.

    Forced March Meter (FMM):
    5 miles

    Can you please post some pictures also?

    Love,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Molly. We need some pictures and a daily log of miles walked!

    Megan and I can help you fix your cable tv next time we talk on skype. Just show us all equipment you have with the skype camera and we'll figure it out. How can you properly veg out without some good cable??

    ReplyDelete