Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Creative Writing Class

Last night I went to my first creative writing class at a nearby junior college. Having seen the school clientele smoking outside on my previous visits, I wasn't quite sure who would be in the class. Bob assured me that since mine was isted as a "hobby" class, not a required class, that it would be peopled with respectable middle-aged ladies like myself. In fact, the class contains 17 females of various ages, an older male and a young male. The teacher is from New Jersey. Last night we wrote dialogues in teams and read them aloud. It was fun and it makes me wonder if the Irish have as much trouble understanding my accent at I do theirs. While they do speak English here, it is most definitely not the same language we speak. .. I was going to keep a log of the differences, but there are so many that has proved too tedious a task. However, I will keep a list for a few days and let you know what I'm talking about. That way when you come visit, you'll be prepared. The class is about a mile and a half away. I walked home at 7:30 as it was getting dark. It's funny that I would never walk at night by myself in Columbia, Missouri, but I felt perfectly comfortable doing it here. There are always lots of people out walking the streets here and it feels quite normal and safe. A lady from class walked part of the way with me and Bob showed up halfway home....On another topic, nearly all the Irish people we have met who have been to the U.S. have been only to these places: NY, Boston, Philadelphia, San Franscisco, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. A few have also been to Chicago and Orlando. So, all of their opinions of the U.S. are based on those cities. We have found one man, Rita Schulte's friend who has visited relatives in Missouri...all my ponderings for today...I am off to drag a coffeemaker and a few odds and ends back to the cave...if you really want to know what happen to my other coffeemaker, e-mail me..

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment