Monday, September 28, 2009

Becoming an Irish Know-it-All

9/28/2009

Hi, Everybody,

Well, I finally finished the_ Paris Beacons_. I enjoyed my favorite column: "100 Years Ago". I was disappointed that no incorrigible nymphomaniacs were captured nor were the "worst women ever to hit Paris" dancing on tables or pounding on their cell doors. However, there was a mysterious "resort" by the railroad track that was raided...We had a busy weekend of learning about Irish history. You may want to skip the next few lines ..we spent 5 hours at the National Museum on Saturday. We viewed prehistoric and Viking artifacts and also went to a lecture on Irish/Scottish swords. One interesting thing we did learn is that if a person does find an artifact, s/he has exactly three days to turn it into the government or face severe penalties! This may sound like it wouldn't be a big deal in the U.S. where the best we could hope to find might be an arrowhead, but some people here have found hoards of gold items in the ground and they still do. I'm not quite sure how they enforce that law, but many finds displayed in the museum were by ordinary citizens,not archaeologists...If you want to know about these topics, call Bob for all the details. He's standing by, ready for your calls..Yesterday we went to historic Glasnevin Cemetery for a 2 hour tour. One and a half million people are buried there. The tour guide was marvelous and told us about all the famous people buried there. The most famous, of course, is Daniel O'Connell, the great liberator. He is no relation, but Bob plans to check his lineage anyway...So, as you can see, I'm in a dangerous spot for an infomaniac like me: I've learned all these things and I have no one to tell them to. Watch out if you call me on the phone! ..Thanks to the kind responses I have gotten from a few of you with directions on how to cut up carrots and offering me a recipe to make applesauce. I will take your suggestions under advisement...You all know that I am always looking for ways to improve myself.. I guess my class reunion occurred without me last weekend...I'm waiting to hear from some of my classmates reading this..I'm off to go out and drag home some stuff and carry it back to my cave.

Happy Monday.

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment