Thursday, July 1, 2010

How to Live to 100


Good day, folks,

I never read articles entitled "How to Live to 100" myself; however, maybe some of you are interested in the secrets of longevity. I have just spent 12 days with my mother, who will be turning 100 in November, so this advice is up-to-the minute:

1. Always insist on real butter. It is a crime to eat any facsimile.
2. Pass on the sour cream.
3. Cottage cheese could be lethal.
4. Eat a half grapefruit with sugar each morning.
5. Drink plenty of hot tea and iced tea.
6. Use Half and Half on your cereal.
7. Stick with brands you know. Oatmeal must be Quaker. Tissues must be Puffs. Shoes must be Easy Spirit. Don't settle for anything less.
8. Don't waste your time doing laundry. Don't get your clothes dirty in the first place. Hang them to "air out" if needed.
9. Don't run so many errands. What are "errands" anyway? And why are you doing so many of them?
10. Take time to sit on the porch each day and notice the sun, the moon, the clouds, and the stars.
11. Go riding around whenever possible.
12. Dry yourself with small thin towels. Why do you need all that towel volume?
13. Accept all invitations.
14. Ask a lot of questions.

While I only adhere to 1, 6, and 14, I have lots more if you're interested. In the meantime, I'm ready to do one that's not on the list: drink a nice glass of red wine in the middle of the afternoon for no good reason. I hope this admission doesn't lead to private "interventions" by my children as a few other blogs have...On the other hand, I use whatever techniques are necessary to get my kids to call me...The photo is Mom and her granddaughter Coady Magers. Coady is wearing Mom's dress from 1964.


Thinking and drinking,
I remain
Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

2 comments: