Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Feelin' Flaky

Good afternoon, Snow Day slackers,

Shouldn't you be shoveling your driveway, eradicating ice sickles, or at least cleaning out your junk drawer? I guess you are plopped in front of your computer instead. I know several of you are supposed to be "working at home today". You know who you are...Like you, I began my day with high hopes of accomplishment. We finally got our photos from Ireland printed (Thank you, Nancy. I know you have one more reason to murder me now). There are over 700 of them. Bob and I plan to put them in albums today. Other things on my list of what to do with an unexpected gift of two days off include: organize my tax stuff, clean out the refrigerator, and finish reading _White Teeth_, my book club book. None of those tasks is particularly unpleasant. However, as of 3:14 PM, I haven't begun any of them. Here's what I have done instead. I may have set a new record in calorie consumption. I've had chocolate sheet cake, angel food cake, oatmeal with brown sugar, more chocolate cake, toffee peanuts, and, of course, the healthy lunch that Bob thinks is all I've eaten: soup, carrots, grapes, and a half a sandwich. I've talked on the phone and /or texted Mary, Mom, my brother Bob, Mary, Molly, Jody, Tim, Mom, Mary, and Nancy. We've compared snowfall rates, flake size/composition (ice pellets - not snowflakes - are falling Savoy, IL), and how we are occupying ourselves. Bob and I have watched _Citzen Kane_ which I had never seen start to finish. Bob is now napping, and I'm staring out the window at the blizzard and awaiting the once-in-a-lifetime experience that our weathermen have predicted: snow thunder. It is like a rainstorm with thunder and lightening except that snow, not rain, falls from the sky. It is quite rare, but the conditions are right today. So, I'll let you go finish your jigsaw puzzle or stir the soup while I hunger for thunder.

Eating cakes and watching flakes,

I remain

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. I'd call again to compare the weather, but 8 phone calls already might seem excessive to some people. It is raining ice here....beautiful if you can stay inside, which Mom and I are. I won't be consuming many calories now that Mom is here, so snack for both of us. I've checked in my family and everyone is in for the duration, so I'm sitting down to read and watch mindless TV until the power goes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm watching "Biggest Loser" --rather ironic, I know. You'll be lucky if you get to eat a half slice of dry toast with Mom on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete