Saturday, February 12, 2011

Driven to Distraction

Hi, Sunday Slackers,

Have you ever cried over junk mail? Before tossing a piece yesterday, I got rather emotional. What, you might ask, could cause such a reaction? Do you really want to know? It was an invitation to subscribe to Sirius/XM Radio. Why, you ask, would someone cry over THAT? I’ll tell you why. A few years back I drove off a car lot in a new car with a sunroof, heated seats, and a free subscription to XM Radio. On my maiden trip home, I laughed so hard at a comedy routine that I nearly drove off the highway. I used to LAUGH in my car. In fact, Laugh USA was my preferred radio channel. I could keep myself well-entertained and felt that my eventual subscription price of $15/mo was an investment in my mental health. As an added bonus, I always had a joke to tell. You all remember how clever and funny used to be, right? So, what happened? When we went to Ireland for 10 mos, I canceled the XM subscription , and we sold Bob’s car. Since we returned to COMO in June, we have replaced neither. We are a one car family. I don’t find myself guffawing and driving off the road much anymore. In fact, now that we drive back and forth to work together each day I mostly find myself saying things like, “You know it wasn’t really your turn to go, right?” and “Have you ever driven all the way to work (it’s 4 miles) without cussing?” So, the Sirius/XM solicitation reminded me of one bright shining moment when my tousled tresses were blowing in the wind as I whisked down the highway in my very own new car howling with abandon….

Siriusly lacking,
I remain
Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Mom/Liz/Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. I can just picture that car ride with dad. Blog well done- you made me LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide if you're really funny, or I'm just an easy mark, but I can imagine the entire thing, and I laughed out loud while reading this.

    ReplyDelete