Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Ciao

June 9, 2016

FMM*:  5 miles and the day is young.


Hi, friends, Romans, and countrymen/women,


I am in Italy.  Since  I have nothing better to do, and, obviously, neither do you, let's waste some time together.

Once again I find myself  in a foreign land getting by on my own devices.  You know that can't be good. Bob and I are here with 46 or 47 -- I keep forgetting -- students.  Bob is teaching a class.  Me?  I'm just here.  

We have had our share of cultural adjustments.  I became re-acquainted with a device I had first encountered in Europe in 1974: a bidet.  I tried to explain what it was to Bob, but without wifi for a proper explanation/demonstration, he didn't quite get it.  Nonetheless,  he did find a use for it.  He has been soaking his sore foot in it.

Bob has become quite attached to the RFID (you did look that up, didn't you?) money belt he got for Christmas for this trip. Of course, he refuses to wear it as designed --- out of sight and under one's shirt.  So, it looks suspiciously like a you-know-what (initials: FP).  He has asked me a few times if he looks like a dork.   Of course, I insist that he doesn't, but we all know the truth.

Figuring out food has been fun.  I bought what I thought was chicken noodle soup.  However, it turned out to be missing the chicken and noodles.  So, we had broth one night.  I thought I was being smart and ordered what I thought were scallops on one menu.  That turned out to be pork in a basalmic vinegar sauce.  I didn't mind as I like pork, too.

Tizhaps:  I briefly lost my passport, but a quick-thinking student grabbed it off the ground as we exited a ferry, thereby saving me from a lifetime spot in the Hall of Shame Gallery.... when walking back from the grocery the first time, I accidentally walked into the wrong gated apartment complex (well, someone was holding open the gate and I was only one complex off...) and got myself locked in as a key was needed to get out.  Luckily, the Italian man who had let me in laughingly responded to my cries,  came back across the street and released me or I might still be there; it reminded me of the time an 18 month old Molly slammed the metal door on us at the bank and we were locked in the safety deposit box room at Landmark Bank for 10 minutes; they have since installed a bell you can ring, probably due to us...lost my FitBit the first week.

Despite my best efforts --- or should I say lame efforts -- I have someone not packed the right clothes.  I should be wearing skintight jeans (Darn, left mine at home!), skintight tops (left those, too), high heeled shoes, boots,  and clogs (may have some at home in a box in the garage from 509 Marshall), and way more black.  If I decide to improve my wardrobe, I'll be sure to post pictures.

Currently, I don't know how to post photos from the iPad.   I'm hoping to shake down some of the students soon.  In the meantime, you'll have to use your imaginations.


Roaming and Roming,

I remain

Tizzie/Tiz/Tizmom/Elizabeth/Liz/Grandma Tizzie

*FMM= forced mile March





3 comments:

  1. You are pretty hilarious!! Enjoy your time there...and keep blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the blog is back! Can't wait to hear what trouble you get into next :)

    ReplyDelete